Friday, June 17, 2011

What I learned today

Even if your day was one of those 'just-like-every-other-day' days, it is still an interesting question to ask yourself "What did I learn today?"  Kinda like checking in with a kid after school.  So here are some brief descriptions about what I learned today after working my 3 day a week job as an art therapist/counselor in an inpatient psychiatric setting. 

I learned that if you learn early on, due to abuse, how to fear adults you will likely live in fear for the rest of your life unless you get help.  Fear can make people do and think abnormal things.  I blame the adult that taught the child how to fear for what the child does as an adult.  I hear a lot from friends and family that eventually people just need to "get over it" when discussing childhood problems.  Sexual molestation, verbal abuse and physical abuse can lay some very permanent marks on the brain (or soul or both, whatever your beliefs are).   I reject this "get over it" or "rub some dirt in it" advice and offer a solution, talking openly and lovingly within the family and, if that can't happen, then getting therapy.  The more we "rub dirt" in the child abuse wounds the more infectious the wound becomes.  I saw today an extremely paranoid, anxious individual who could have had a much much different life had the mom or dad believed when he/she said the abuse was happening. 

I also learned today that we as a culture/society would benefit a great deal if along with STD's and the food pyramid talked openly (WITHOUT judgment) about mental illness in health classes within the schools.  We need more open talk about these 'hushed' issues.  I think everyone has had a family member or loved one suffer from a mental illness and if we just started talking about it without judgment, we could understand the importance of good mental health care.

I can honestly say that I feel burned out at times as a therapist, but, what keeps me going is learning from my clients.

Good night :)

Jenny 

No comments:

Post a Comment