Friday, June 24, 2011

Sick of the judging

I constantly try to live my life without judgement.  I am even careful about making judgmental statements or assumptions.  I am not perfect, this process will be on going.  I feel very strongly that a lot of mental illness issues are a result of a judgemental society.  I feel very fortunate every time I learn from my 'clients,' especially the ones in inpatient psychiatric care.  I learn the sad, complex stories that detail the steps which led the 'client' to such a setting.  I also learn that people who view those on the street whom appear 'disheveled' and/or homeless with judgment are ignorant. 

It is difficult to work in this field and have loved ones who cast judgmental nets all over things that confuse them.  It can be confusing to see a 'drunk' begging for money or a woman screaming in the middle of the street.  Instead of labeling 'drunk' or 'crazy' lets start asking questions and offering support.  One way to offer support is by educating yourself on mental illness.  Many times people with mental illness self medicate with drugs and/or alcohol.  So it isn't as simple as they are "drunks" it is way more complex. 

I often bite my tongue when I hear a loved one make judgemental statements but I think I am going to start challenging their judgements and beliefs.  I owe my clients that.  I owe my loved ones that opportunity to re-think their assumptions.  I don't have much else to say except please start to educate yourself before you continue to just assume or judge.  We all are guilty of judging others, lets try and do less starting now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment